- Ray Jordan 93 Points Wine Guide 2012
- 94 Points James Halliday Wine Guide 2011
- Blue Gold Sydney International Wine & Spirit Competition 2012
- Silver Decanter World Wine Awards 2012
- Silver London International Wine & Spirit Competition 2012
- Bronze Royal Queensland Wine Show 2012
- Bronze Royal Melbourne Wine Show 2012
- Bronze Royal Perth Wine Show 2012
- Commended, London International Wine Challenge 2012
We source a single vineyard in the Frankland River region for this wine. This region is well suited to producing many red and white varieties due to its continental climate combined with low vigour and moderate ripening conditions. We have chosen this vineyard for its ability to produce typical Frankland River Shiraz, which as a result of being a cool climate, is intense in colour with ripe flavours yet is elegant in style and structure.
The season started with significant rainfall during the winter months, followed by a dry spring and summer period, resulting in excellent vine growth and fruit set. The ripening period started off being warm and dry, kicking along berry development, a cooling off in early March allowed the Shiraz grapes Shiraz grapes to develop a good balance of sugar and tannin ripeness.
Picked during the cool of the night, the grapes were crushed and destemmed into static fermenters. Techniques for pumping the juice through the skins, and getting air into the ferments under relatively cool temperatures, were used to extract as much colour and flavour as possible. Once primary ferment was complete, the wine was pressed from the skins and then sent to a selection of French hogshead and American barrique barrels to complete malolactic fermentation. Matured in oak for 12 months before being carefully blended prior to bottling.
11th May 2012
This wine has great richness of flavour, aromas of spicy cherry and plum and a soft fruit-driven palate delivering dark berries, liquorice and subtle tannins. The wine is approachable but will continue to develop and improve with cellaring.